Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Returning to Reality

Well...it happened. I have officially turned into the new mom I never thought I would be. I am smitten with my baby boy but also constantly worried about what to do in every situation. I never imagined I would be this way, but sure enough, and just like my mom said would happen, I have transformed into a typical new mom. Luckily...I don't mind one bit. 

My newest problem becomes the balancing act that all working moms must try to maneuver: being a great mom and a great teacher. As a teacher, my "kids" have always been my students and a top priority in my life. Nothing like 150 high school "kids" to keep me on my toes. Now, in addition to the students that take over my classroom, I will come home everyday to my little guy that needs love and attention. As I return to work this August, I am anxious about how I will tackle all of my roles: teacher, instructional technology coach/coordinator, and most importantly, MOM. 

As all teachers know, our work never stays at work. It is impossible. In addition, our emotions about all parts of our job never stay at work. Teaching young people has to be one of the most rewarding professions; however, it can also be overwhelming and consuming. This is not a complaint...it is the truth. In my opinion, the fact that we bring our work and emotions home with us at the end of the day means that we are good teachers. We care....and that is what our students need in order to gain success. 


So now...how does this passion and dedication to my job continue when I have new obligations at home? This is my new reality and a challenge I am excited to accept. 


As return to work in two weeks to start my seventh year as a teacher, my goal is to find a balance between being a great mom to my 6 month year old son and a motivating teacher and colleague at school. Stay tuned as I continue to share my experience and what I learn along the way! 




No comments:

Post a Comment