Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Shifting to Inspire

Finding motivation to make it through the school day can be difficult for most students. In high school, I was no exception. Different teachers, assignments, and activities inspired me at times, but they were few and far between. While I went through the motions and maintained good grades, I never truly felt inspired to put forth the extra effort to improve my skills or take ownership of my learning. I typically sat in the back of a classroom, constantly listening to my teachers lecture about various topics, and then completed the mandatory worksheets, assessments, or activities. I struggled to find a passion or interest in what was being taught due the fact that my job was to listen, not to get involved.
I did, however, have a passion for athletics. As a student athlete, I was exposed to a way of life that taught me how to be committed, responsible, a leader, and a team player. Instead of standing on the sidelines like I did in the classroom, I worked tirelessly to improve and develop the skills needed to gain success. Luckily, my coaches always inspired me to be a better person and player.  I always wanted to be successful, and when I wasn’t, they motivated me through instruction, drills, and pep talks to work harder and put forth extra effort in order to gain that success.  I was in control. While it wasn’t easy, I never gave up because I was inspired to be the best I could be. I was an active member of the team, and the coaches put responsibility and the development of the team in our hands. Instead of constantly lecturing the team about how to compete, the coaches gave us instruction and then pushed us to work individually and with our teammates to find passion and meaning behind our actions.  This was the inspiration I needed as a student in order to do more than just go through the motions. I desperately needed that same spark in the classroom to be a better student and motivated learner.
Inspiration. What truly inspires me? What truly inspires our students? What shifts must be made by teachers in a world full of unmotivated learners?
I need someone continuously motivating me to get better. Motivating me to improve my skills. Motivating me to take risks. Inspiring me to always work toward success. Inspiring me to discover where I belong.  Allowing me to take ownership of my abilities. Allowing me to get actively involved. In the classroom, I didn’t only need a teacher; I needed a coach.
Coaches inspire athletes to enhance their skills and to want more for themselves. How can this inspiration and drive for success carry over into the classroom? A shift is needed.
As a high school teacher, I remember the inspiration I craved as a student and the inspiration I received as an athlete. It is not only my job to “teach” students how to read, write, think, and dream, but it is also my job to “coach” them along the way.  Teachers cannot only relay information and hope their students want to hear it; instead, we must teach students how to learn and act as a coach for their learning. There are numerous opportunities for teachers to take the lead as a coach in their classrooms. It is common knowledge that today’s students need to be highly engaged, and typically, this level engagement is produced during hands-on activities. With  advancements in technology, teachers can use a variety of resources in order to promote higher level thinking and engagement within the walls of a classroom. Instead of constantly standing in front of the room and presenting information to a group of students, teachers can now let their students get involved and take responsibility for their own learning. A shift in teaching methods and delivery must occur in order to properly educate our students for the future. Isn’t that what coaches do? Coaches get their teams ready; they motivate, improve skills, evoke passion, allow active involvement, and provide mental preparation  for upcoming events. During these events, coaches then take a step back and let the team take control over their success. Similarly to athletes, students need to be ready for their next big event – the real world.
Teachers are coaches, and the more we inspire our students, work to meet their needs, and allow them to take ownership of their learning, the more motivated students will be to take what they learn to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment