Monday, April 15, 2013

Breaking Free

Analyze, summarize, research, explain, connect, support….All words that I use tirelessly in my classroom when teaching writing to a group of high school students. As I enter the last month of the school year, it is clear that my students know how to organize their writing in order to support an argument. I taught them how to do this, and I reviewed it over and over again. What is interesting to me is that while they can format and organize their writing effectively, they struggle to complete writing tasks that lack specific and direct instructions for their thoughts. In short, my students struggle to find their own voice – through writing – simply because the rules of writing have been drilled into their head year after year.
Of course, students do need to be taught how to organize their thoughts, focus their ideas, include evidence, make connections, and draw conclusions in writing; however, when should teachers take a step back and allow students to find their own voice, through written expression?
Students become emotionally charged from literature, class discussions, school issues, and worldly events. Teachers do allow them to share these emotions during class discussions and activities, but if we continuously teach and force them to analyze, summarize, research, explain, connect, and support while writing, how can we expect them to demonstrate their own thoughts and conclusions through written expression? How can we expect them to truly improve their writing skills? If we always feed our students a criteria for writing and do not let them share their writing with others, we are limiting their potential and restricting their voice.
Why not let the students write about what they want from time to time? Why not let the students organize their writing and share their thoughts with the world? Yes, I need to teach my students how to write; however, after instruction, I need to lift the restrictions and allow my students to set their own writing parameters.


If we want our students to invest in the subject matter and grow as writers, why not set them free?

No comments:

Post a Comment